Pelvic Floor Therapy
Pelvic Floor Therapy Program
Our Pelvic Floor Therapy Program is designed to help with urinary incontinence and painful intercourse.
Pelvic floor rehabilitation and stimulation is an individualized,
non-invasive treatment to increase the strength and control of your pelvic floor muscles. The pelvic floor can be thought of as a “system” that must work together:
- The muscles of the pelvic floor support organs found within the pelvis
- The muscles control the flow or urine
- The nerves activate muscles to function
When one or more of these components become weak the pelvic floor is unable to provide the needed support. Pelvic floor therapy can be used to address numerous conditions:
- Urinary incontinence
- Fecal incontinence
- Pelvic prolapse
- Pelvic pain
- Painful sexual relations
- And for postpartum women to instruct them on pelvic floor exercises in an attempt to minimize future pelvic floor issues
An individualized plan of care is determined by obtaining a health history and evaluation of pelvic floor muscle measurements.
- Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation: determines if you are contracting the correct muscles and when the muscles fatigue. Using this information, a customized muscle strengthening regimen will be prescribed.
- Pelvic Floor Stimulation: Pelvic floor muscles are stimulated allowing patients to become aware of where the muscles are and how to use them appropriately.
Pelvic Floor rehabilitation and stimulation has been shown to be significantly effective in 8 out of 10 people.
If you have any of the above symptoms or simply would like to improve your pelvic floor strength to prevent future pelvic floor issues, please make an appointment today for a consultation with our on-staff, board certified urogynecologist, Dr. Audrey Romero.